Friday 8 March 2024

Book Review: Would You Ask My Husband That? by Kathleen Whyman

 Would You Ask My Husband That?

by

Kathleen Whyman

She's Wearing the pants in the family ...... and washing everyone else's too.
 
Publisher: Echo Publishing
Publication date: 27th February 2024
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Pages: 400
RRP: $32.99AU (paperback)
Source: courtesy of the publisher
 

Review: Would You Ask My Husband That?

Would You Ask My Husband That? is a humorous and sharp look at the load a working mother and wife carries. 
 
Sarah works full-time and does all the childcare arrangements, cooking, cleaning and household chores. When her husband, Will is let go sacked, Sarah gets his Directors job. This means longer hours and more travel, just like Will used to do. How hard can it be with Will home full time on 'gardening leave' to look after  the children and do the housework.
 
Would You Ask My Husband That? is hilarious!  Whyman has created a 2000's woman and married her to a 70's male. Surely men aren't still like Will!
 
A host of unlikable and selfish characters had me cringing at times. However the story was highly engaging and loads of fun. I couldn't put it down! I raced to the end to find out when Sarah would finally see she was being undermined at every turn. 
 
Even though the plot is very predictable, the insanely funny situations the characters find themselves in (usually of their own making) make the book an easy read. Don't take any of it too seriously and you will enjoy this tale of corporate climbing and people that want it all whilst others clean up around them.
 
I loved the Friday Fizz Club, so funny! Where was that when I was a SAHM!
 
4 stars from me. Would be 5 stars if it wasn't so predictable.
 
⭐⭐⭐⭐

 


No comments:

Post a Comment