Sunday 24 March 2024

Book Review: Where the Dead Go by Sarah Bailey

 Where the Dead Go

by

Sarah Bailey

A MISSING GIRL. HER MURDERED BOYFRIEND. A COP ON THE EDGE.
 
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Publication date: 4th August 2019
Series: Gemma Woodstock #3
Genre: Crime / Mystery
Pages: 464
RRP: $22.99AU (B format paperback)
Source: Uncorrected proof from publisher
 

Review: Where the Dead Go

As Into the Night wasn't a big hit with me I was eager to read the next Detective Sergeant Gemma Woodstock novel. Can Sarah Bailey recreate the atmosphere and suspense from The Dark Lake? Well that was a resounding Yes! I could not put this book down! I read it in two days picking it up every spare minute I had.
 
Where the Dead Go hooked me right from the prologue. A young teen out late at night after a fight with her boyfriend disappears without a trace.
 
In Into the Night Gemma was living in Melbourne and we find out she has since been living in Sydney with a new love interest, Mac. She is visiting her hometown of Smithson when a report of a murder and a missing teen, in a small town just north of Byron Bay, comes through. Gemma is keen to take the case and get away for a while.
 
Gemma is still full of self-doubt and crippling anxiety and has flash-backs of another missing teen case that didn't end well.
I love how Sarah Bailey portrayed the small seaside town of Fairhaven where everyone knew each other but there was still the underlying feeling that people were being evasive and secretive. I was quick to think many of the characters were a bit suspect and that Gemma shouldn't trust anyone.
 
Where the Dead Go was well plotted with plenty of drama that kept me turning the pages. 
The story ends with a bombshell from Gemma which I am sure will be played out in the next book. 
 
My rating 5 / 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment