Tuesday 19 March 2024

Book Review: Devil's Lair by Sarah Barrie

 Devil's Lair

by

Sarah Barrie

A lonely widow, a sinister act, a darkness rising from the past.

Publisher: Harlequin Australia
Publication date: 17th June 2019
Series: Calico Mountain #2
Genre: Crime / Thriller
Pages: 448
RRP: $29.99AU (trade paperback)
Source: Courtesy of the publisher
 

Review: Devil's Lair  

I just found out whilst posting my review that this is book 2 in a series! I can confidently say it reads well as a standalone. 

Devil's Lair opens with a ritualistic cult-like killing and I initially thought the story might be too dark for me however it soon settles into a compelling mystery with dark elements, allusions to paranormal activity and some nice creepy stalking. There are more killings but they are spread throughout the book and by this time I was hooked on the mystery.

Devil's Lair is a taut, gothic small town thriller and the perfect setting of a Tasmanian winter adds to the atmosphere of seclusion. I enjoyed the light romance thread that ran through the novel. It gave me some relief from the spine-tingling drama that had me on the edge of my seat.

Sarah Barrie pulled me into the world of gothic Tasmania and when the jaw-dropping twists started revealing themselves I was totally addicted.
 
If you enjoyed The Dry and The Dark Lake you will love Devil's Lair

My rating 4 / 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

If you haven't read Sarah Barrie before I highly recommend her Lexi Winter series.

 
#tbrchallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment