Wednesday 7 August 2024

Book Review: Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me by Andra Putnis

 Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me

by

Andra Putnis

Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Publication date: 2nd July 2024
Genre: Non Fiction / Biography
Pages: 304
RRP: AU$34.99 (paperback)
Source: Courtesy of the publisher
 

Review: Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me

I often wonder with biographies if we are really getting the full story or just the watered down version of the person's life. The nice bits.
 
I can honestly say that Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me comes across as a 'warts and all' telling. The grandmothers reveal long held secrets and even air, what might be considered to them to be, their dirty washing.
 
I loved Andra Putnis' grandmothers for their honesty. Nothing is held back in this sincere biography.
 
Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me is a heartfelt story on a grand scale. I have read much about the lives of ordinary people displaced by World War II and the measures they went to to escape persecution; however I have never come across anything on the war in Latvia and the people who were forced to flee their homeland.
Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me is a book that champions the courage and resilience of these remarkable women. It opened my eyes and my heart to these women.
 
Andra retells conversations with her grandmothers, Milda and Aline, and also other members of the family and people from the Latvian Community in Australia. The story goes beyond the war and escaping Russian rule to venture into life in Australia and trying to adapt to a new country whilst also trying to hold onto their own heritage.
 
Thank you Andra Putris for sharing your family's story with me and also your treasured family photos which were truly an honour to pore over.
 
Stories My Grandmothers Didn't Tell Me is an emotional story, filled to the brim with love.
Do yourself a favour and read this remarkable book!
 
My rating 5 / 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 comments:

  1. I also wonder what does not get into official biographies! I'm glad the grandmothers did finally open up about their stories, even if it was hard. It's important to know the truth about the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw this book advertised somewhere and after reading your review I now have to add it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete