Tuesday 27 August 2024

Book Review: A Single Lifeline by Heidi Coupland

A Single Lifeline

by

Heidi Coupland

Publisher: Echo Publishing
Publication date: 2nd July 2024
Genre: Memoir
Pages: 256
RRP: AU$34.99
Source: Courtesy of the publisher
 

Review: A Single Lifeline

I'm not a big memoir reader but I really should broaden my reading and seeing as I was sent A Single Lifeline by the publisher I thought I would give it a go. Well, I read A Single Lifeline in one sitting. I very rarely do this, even with crime thrillers.
 
Heidi Coupland's memoir is filled with heart and love. Written whilst her husband was undergoing cancer treatment some years ago and although published now it is narrated in real time.
 
From her husband's diagnosis with Leukaemia through to the treatments, the ups and many downs Heidi shows a strength that comes from the deep love she and her husband have for each other.
Pete's journey through chemo, bone marrow transplant and setback after setback is harrowing and the human will to survive against insurmountable odds is amazing.

Heidi Coupland doesn't try to wring the emotion, preferring to focus on her and Pete's strength through love. It was the generosity of friends and strangers that brought tears to my eyes. Everyone pitching in to help out with their children.

Heidi also covers their early life together, meeting, having children and how their different personalities complement each other.

A Single Lifeline is a raw and honest read as Heidi recounts the emotional as well as the physical journey after a cancer diagnosis.

My rating 5 / 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
 

2 comments:

  1. Great review but I don't think I could read this as it hits a bit too close to home for me. I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer on my birthday 2 years ago (23rd Sept). It's been an incredible journey but thanks to my wonderful oncologist I'm in remission now. I couldn't have done it without the support of my wonderful husband and 2 best friends who took it in turns to accompany me to all my treatments. Also extended family and friends have been so supportive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are in remission. Family and friends are the best.

      Delete