Wednesday 17 April 2024

Book Review: Sunrise Over Mercy Court by Fiona McCallum

 Sunrise Over Mercy Court

by

Fiona McCallum

Just when they thought they were done....

Publisher: Harlequin Australia
Publication date: 5th April 2023 
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Pages: 496
RRP: $32.99AU now in B format $22.99AU
Source: Courtesy of the publisher
 

Review: Sunrise Over Mercy Court

I have read a few of Fiona McCallum's novels and I have really enjoyed them. However, Sunrise Over Mercy Court was a miss for me.
 
Elsie and Howard have been together for almost 60 years and at 78 they are tired of the aches and pains, bored with life and low on finances. They plan on getting all their affairs in order then end their life, peacefully together, before their 79th birthday.
 
Sunrise Over Mercy Court was quite depressing and I couldn't at all connect with Elsie and Howard. Their talk of methods of suicide were so ludicrous it was funny. Then I felt bad for thinking it was funny because it is a serious topic.
I really don't like the use of drugs to add humour in a story, even if they are light recreational drugs. 

8 year old neighbour Milly was a breath of fresh air, wise beyond her years, and also the magic elixir that made all Elsie & Howard's aches and pains magically disappear.
 
My rating 2 / 5 ⭐⭐

I don't know who I could possibly recommend this book to. However here are some of Fiona's books I do recommend!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment