Wednesday 17 April 2024

Book Review: The Mistress of Dara Island by Averil Kenny

The Mistress of Dara Island

by

Averil Kenny

A tropical paradise is her birthright ... but will its dark secrets destroy her dreams?
 
Publisher: Echo Publishing
Publication date: 3rd April 2024
Genre: Historical / Mystery
Pages: 368
RRP: $32.99AU (trade paperback)
Source: courtesy of the publisher

Review: The Mistress of Dara Island

The Mistress of Dara Island is an enchanting story of power, money and long held secrets, set on a fictitious island off the coast of far north Queensland.
 
Tahlia (Tally) is the only child of Nerissa the owner of Dara Island and one day the land that she loves will pass to her. However the exclusive resort is currently run by her rich and powerful father, and he wants Tally to have nothing to do with it.
 
The willful and determined Tally was not scared to stand-up to her cruel and militant father. He banishes her from the island but she vows to return and claim her birthright.
 
Set in the 1960's Averil Kenny richly evokes the beauty and seclusion of the island with a luxury resort on one side and the other filled with treacherous peaks covered in jungle. 
I loved the wonderfully portrayed characters in this story and many of the chapters ended on little cliff-hangers that kept me eagerly reading.

What starts as a story about a willful girl and her love of the island soon morphs into a suspenseful mystery with plenty of jaw-dropping twists.
The Mistress of Dara Island is the perfect holiday read!

My rating 5 / 5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Another fabulous book I have read by Averil Kenny:
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book and totally agree with your review. Those Hamilton Sisters was also a 5 star read for me. I also discovered that I had missed a book in between these 2 - The Girls Of Lake Evelyn. It was another 5 star read. I just love Averil's writing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading The Girls of Lake Evelyn. I bought it some time ago but haven't had time to read it. So glad you loved it.

      Delete