Wednesday 22 August 2018

Book Review: Wild Fire (Shetland #8) by Ann Cleeves


Title: Wild Fire
Author: Ann Cleeves
Series: Shetland Series #8
Publisher: Pan Macmillan 
Publication date: 31st July  2018
Pages: 416
Format Read: Paperback
Source: courtesy of publisher


 Shetland: Welcoming. Wild. Remote.
Drawn in by the reputation of the islands, an English family move to the area, eager to give their autistic son a better life.
But when a young nanny’s body is found hanging in the barn of their home, rumours of her affair with the husband begin to spread like wild fire.
With suspicion raining down on the family, DI Jimmy Perez is called in to investigate, knowing that it will mean the return to the islands of his on-off lover and boss Willow Reeves, who will run the case.
Perez is facing the most disturbing investigation of his career. Is he ready for what is to come?




This is my first Ann Cleeves novel and I seem to have come in on the tail end as Wild Fire is the eighth and final novel in Cleeves’ Shetland series featuring DI Jimmy Perez.

Wild Fire completes the second of Ann’s Shetland Quartets, The Four Elements following the original Four Seasons Quartet. The spin-off TV crime drama “Shetland” has now been signed up for season 5. To read more on Ann Cleeves books and the Shetland series visit Ann’s website here 

I did wonder if I would find the characters difficult to connect with coming into the story at the end of the series but this book can easily be read as a standalone. There were occasional references of past events however nothing that prevented me from grasping the storyline.

Wild Fire was an enjoyable, easy read featuring a compelling mystery which kept my focus throughout. I found I became swept up in the lives of the people of Deltaness.

Helena, Daniel and their two children hoping to escape their busy London lives have moved to the quiet town of Deltaness located in the Shetland Islands. Malicious gossip and anonymous notes leave Helena wondering if they will ever be accepted in the community or will forever be the newcomers.  When a young woman is found murdered in a barn on the newcomers’ land Perez’s first impression is this is to do with the family not being accepted but when a born and raised local is found murdered he must rethink his ideas and try to find out how these two people were linked.

In true murder mystery style Cleeves gives out just enough information to have the reader believing anyone could have and had cause to murder the victims.

The characters are well drawn from the newcomers to the island, that feel like they don’t quite fit in, to the bitter gossiper who feels the need to dissect everyone’s actions and spread malicious gossip.
I actually thought I had the murderer pegged until my main suspect turned up as the next victim.

To finish off the series Cleeves gives Perez’s life a major upheaval which has him contemplating where he wants his future to go.

Many readers will be sad to see the end of DI Jimmy Perez and the Shetland series but I am happy to say I still have seven more books in the series to read and I’m eagerly looking forward to them.

If you enjoy old-style murder mysteries this series is for you.

*My thanks to Pan Macmillan for my copy to read.

My rating 5/5                                🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 



Photo courtesy of Goodreads




Ann Cleeves is the author of over thirty critically acclaimed novels, and in 2017 was awarded the highest accolade in crime writing, the CWA Diamond Dagger. She is the creator of popular detectives Vera Stanhope and Jimmy Perez who can now be found on television in ITV’s Vera and BBC One’s Shetland. The TV series and the books they are based on have become international sensations, capturing the minds of millions worldwide.
Ann worked as a probation officer, bird observatory cook, and auxiliary coastguard before she started writing. She is a member of ‘Murder Squad’, working with other British northern writers to promote crime fiction. Ann is also a passionate champion for libraries and was a National Libraries Day Ambassador in 2016. Ann lives in North Tyneside near where the Vera books are set.




28 comments:

  1. This sounds like a series that I would enjoy. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very popular series. I would recommend you give it a try.

      Delete
  2. The murder of a nanny. Possibility of an affair. Then, just when you blink, a second murder. Sounds thrilling. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard about the Shetland Series before. This sounds like a great crime mystery and I want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started at the end but I will definitely going back to number one.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of this book. Definitely my kind of read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend you give it a try. Maybe start at the beginning and not at the end like me :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked it, I don't think I've ever read a murder mystery - should probably change that some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is a good place to start. A nice easy read and not gory at all.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an engaging read. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wants it - thanx for the review

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like this one (I haven't read it but just from reading your synopsis), you may like House Rules by Jodi Picoult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that Nikki but I will check it out for sure.

      Delete
  9. I will have to pick up the first one in this series and see what I think :) Great review!!

    Megan - Ginger Mom and the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Megan. Good idea to start at the beginning. A few reviews said the first ones were better.

      Delete
  10. Great review! The cover is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good that the author set up the series so it could be read as a stand alone and as part of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes stand alones in a series are my favourite kind. You get to see your favourite characters over and over but each story has a conclusion.

      Delete
  12. Ooooh this feels like such a classic plotline: the sea/tree-change family and a murder mystery. It sounded initially like the relationships and the criss-crossing might be a bit tough to follow, but the more I read of your review the more it came together. So, great work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't hard to follow at all. I also think if you start at the beginning of the series you would know the main characters a bit more than I did.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like a great book. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete