Monday 21 October 2024

Book Review: Prize Catch by Alan Carter

I've always enjoyed Alan Carter's writing and Prize Catch is no exception. Not only are his characters engaging the settings are always evocative and beautifully described.
 
With Prize Catch Alan Carter has mixed a cleverly crafted plot with superb character development.
 
Sam Willard is a complex mixture of hero and villain. I haven't come across such a likeable anti-hero as Sam since Jack Dunne in Outrider.

Prize Catch is rich in suspense and although I found the beginning slow the pace soon picked up and I became totally immersed in the story.

I liked that it was set during the early days of Covid lockdowns which made an isolated Tasmania the perfect setting for a manhunt.
 
With dual plot lines of activists against a big salmon farm and war crimes in Afghanistan, I was eager to see how these two vastly different areas would come together.
 
Prize Catch is a riveting crime novel but I think it was the fabulous characters that really stood out to me. 

My rating 4 / 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Publisher: Fremantle Press
Publication date: 1st October 2024
Genre: Crime
Pages: 312pp
RRP: AU$34.99
Source: Courtesy of the publisher via Good Reading Magazine

*This review appeared first for the Good Reading Early Bird reviews.

Other Alan Carter books I've reviewed:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment