Monday 1 June 2020

Mailbox Monday & Life This Week - June 1st




Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. It now has a permanent home at the Mailbox Monday blog.

Life This Week is a meme created by Denyse Whelan Blogs where bloggers share snaps of what is currently happening in their lives.

Happy Monday!

What has been happening over the last two weeks!

Life is slowly getting back to some sort of normal as schools started back full time. Cafes and shops are still limited but restrictions here will be easing soon.

I was excited that we had a good night of rain last week and it was good to see the gardens getting some much needed water but it was short lived and we haven't seen rain since but the tanks are now full.

We are still going on lots of walks and we saw a couple of bush turkeys in the bush near our house. They were having a great time scratching in a huge pile of wood-chip. 




I helped my daughter do an end of lease clean and my muscles hurt the next day. It was a good, you've had a good workout, hurt. She surprised me with flowers the next day.




I've been doing more baking. I made these honey madeleines from Just Desserts by Charlotte Ree. They were simple delicious.



Books received over the last two weeks:

Won:

The Girl She Was by Rebecca Freeborn
Layla was just like any other teenager in the small town of Glasswater Bay: she studied hard, went out with her friends and worked at the local cafe after school. But when her attractive, married boss turned his attention on her, everything changed.

Twenty years later, Layla's living a quiet life in the suburbs with a loving husband and two children. She's finally left the truth of what happened behind. Until she receives a text message: I know what you did.

For years, she’s outrun her past, turning away from her friends and her home town. Now her past is about to catch up.
 
 




From the publisher:

Better Luck Next Time by Kate Hilton
It isn’t easy being related to a feminist icon, especially when she’s celebrating the greatest moment of her storied career.

Just ask the daughters of Lydia Hennessey, who could have it all if only they’d stop self-destructing. Mariana, the eldest, is on the verge of throwing away a distinguished reputation in journalism, along with her marriage. Nina, the middle daughter, has returned from a medical mission overseas as a changed woman but won’t discuss it with anyone. And Beata, the youngest, has a hostile teenaged son who just discovered the existence of a father who didn’t know about him either. Meanwhile, their cousin Zoe is making divorce look like a death match, while her brother, Zack, is grappling with the fallout from his popular television dramedy, which is based far too closely on Lydia herself.

It might be easier to find their paths if they could step out of Lydia’s shadow—but the biggest women’s march in history is underway, and Lydia and her family are at the centre of it.

Over the course of an eventful year, the Hennessey children contend with the big struggles of midlife: aging parents, raging teens, crumbling marriages and bodies, new loves and the choice between playing it safe or taking life-altering risks. And as they inch toward a new definition of happiness, they might even persuade their parents—and themselves—that they’re all grown up.


From  Netgalley: 

My Life for Yours by Vanessa Carnevale
Paige and Nick are happy. They have a beautiful home, a loving family and, most importantly, they would do anything for each other. Now, they are having a baby and it feels like all their dreams are coming true.

But joy turns to despair when they discover that Paige has a rare, life-threatening heart condition and they lose their longed-for child. Heartbroken, the couple must accept the reality that they may not become parents after all.

Just as they begin to come to terms with their loss, Paige unexpectedly falls pregnant again. Paige’s heart is still weak, and to carry the baby to term puts them both at risk. The couple now face an impossible decision: Paige’s life or the life of their unborn child?

If Paige keeps the baby, she could lose her life and destroy the man she loves. If Nick tries to stop her, he may lose them both forever. It’s the most important decision they have ever had to make – and time is running out.
 


I would love to hear what you received in the mail lately! 

 

 

 
 

 
  

18 comments:

  1. Oh, your madeleines look mouthwatering! Better Luck Next Time caught my attention. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. My new reads do look good. The madeleines were delicious.

      Delete
  2. Books, sweet treats, and gardens...what could be better. We are working toward normal here, but if it works remains to be seen.

    The Girl She Was sounds fascinating. I hope you enjoy your new books.

    https://imperfectchristianmom.blogspot.com/2020/05/mailbox-monday-june-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. Such a terrible time for the world. I think our normal is gone.

      Delete
  3. Yum for the madeleines! Your books look good, too. Thanks for sharing, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The madeleines were delicious. I think I need to stop baking for a few weeks and maybe start walking instead. :)

      Delete
  4. YUM on your madeleines.

    ENJOY your new books...love the cover on MY LIFE FOR YOURS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking for to My Life for Yours. The author tells me it's not all tear inducing. I'm ready for a good cry.

      Delete
  5. Cute turkeys. I haven't seen any in are yard for years now. Probably due to our active little dogs.
    Those madeleines look wonderful.
    My Life for Yours sounds intense. Enjoy all of your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first sighting. I live in a built up area with just a small creek and bush behind but the wildlife seems to survive there.

      Delete
  6. Hi Veronica,

    We are slowly getting back to normal here in the UK, although much of retail is still closed for another couple of weeks and hairdressers, hospitality etc. until at least early July!

    We have also had the hottest spring on record, with no rain since I can't remember when and temperatures more like mid summer. I am really surprised that they haven't announced water shortages and hosepipe bans, but I guess they might be a bit scared to impose any more restrictions on us right now!

    The madeleines look amazing, although I couldn't make anything like that, as I would have to eat them all myself because hubbie doesn't enjoy overly sweet and sickly things. I probably wouldn't have too much trouble polishing them off single handed, but that's not really good is it?? :)

    I really like the sound of 'My Life For Yours', so I'm adding it to my list and looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

    Thanks for sharing and take care :)

    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely don't want water shortages. We have just come out of a drought and still have restrictions. I don't know how we would have went if the drought was still in full force with all the hand washing going on.

      Delete
  7. Those books look interesting! Haha - the bush turkeys are everywhere now! I'm loving the easing of restrictions - hopefully we are still sensible about it. Have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good the restrictions are easing. I have been able to go to the local shopping centre a couple of times and they are still fairly quiet. Most shops don't have much stock in.

      Delete
  8. Those madeleines look so yummy. I’ve been craving sweets ever since lockdown started. I guess I eat when I’m stressed. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing much to do when you are home all day but bake and eat. I need to stop baking now and do some walking.

      Delete
  9. Those madeleines look gooood...and all three books also sound interesting. I look forward to hearing what you think of Vanessa Carnevale's latest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really looking forward to reading Vanessa’s book. It sounds like a bit of a tear jerker but she assured me it’s not all sad.

      Delete