Saturday 14 September 2024

Book Review: The Hidden Girl by Lucinda Riley

 The Hidden Girl

by

Lucinda Riley

with Foreword by Harry Whittaker
 
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Publication date: 10th September 2024
Genre: Historical Fiction / Contemporary Fiction
Pages: 576
RRP: AU$34.99
Source: Courtesy of the publisher
 

Review: The Hidden Girl

I wasn't quite prepared for how dark The Hidden Girl was. I have read a few books by Lucinda Riley and I don't remember them having so much heavy content.
 
The Hidden Girl is narrated through multiple timelines and multiple characters spanning generations.
 
Present Day: Rose and David are estranged siblings however reconnect when David asks Rose to take his 16yo son for the semester break. Brett has a brief holiday romance with village girl Leah who years later will take the modelling world by storm.

The Hidden Girl is a generational saga going back to David and Rose's parents, the concentration camps of WWII and to the present day.

From Yorkshire to London to the catwalks of Milan then on to New York, the hectic and not so glamorous life of a top model is riddled with competition, obsession and sabotage.

The Hidden Girl is a big book, over 500 pages, refreshed and updated by Lucinda's son Harry Whittaker. There is also an informative foreword by Harry.

With themes of the concentration camps of WWII, murder, allusions to child abuse, sexual abuse, domestic abuse, obsession, suicide,  male dominance, servitude, gaslighting and rape. The Hidden Girl is not for the faint hearted.
 
I have to say though, the story had me glued to the pages even though I was continually shocked by the content, the twists were many and just when I thought I couldn't be shocked anymore I was hit by another twist.

My rating 3 / 5 ⭐⭐⭐
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment